Google Search

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sohail Tanvir signs Victoria for T20 Big Bash

Pakistan fast bowler Sohail Tanvir has singed to Victoria Bushrangers for the upcoming Twenty20 Big Bash for the Australia's domestic Twenty20 competition. Left arm seamer will be the replacement for the Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan - who was unavailable due to national commitments.

"The 24-year-old Tanvir, 24 joined West Indian Dwayne Bravo as the two international signings for the tournament, following the withdrawal of Sri Lankan spin king Muttiah Muralidaran, who has scheduling conflicts," Victoria Bushrangers said in a statement.

Tanvir was the leading wicket-taker in the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League, taking 22 wickets at an average of 12.09 for the Rajasthan Royals, including a record 6-14 in a match against Chennai. He played for South Australia last season in the Australian T20 competition.

“I’m very excited by the prospect of playing in front of a ‘home’ crowd at the great MCG, and representing Victoria in this strong competition,” Tanvir said. “The Bushrangers have a solid record in the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash so it’s a great honour, and I look forward to playing my part in the team and contributing to some entertaining and successful cricket,” added Tanvir – who also played for South Australia last summer in the Twenty20 Big Bash.

Victoria coach Greg Shipperd said Tanvir would be a good addition to his Bushrangers squad. “He was the pick of the bowlers in IPL season one but he hasn’t been able to play a lot of cricket since then given that the Pakistanis were not involved in IPL season two,” Shipperd said. “He’ll be a great addition given some of the problems we’ve had with our bowling depth this year.”

© Cricdb

2 comments: